HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Fun Allowed is on hiatus!
Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:00 pm by CasualCollision
It is uncertain how long this hiatus will last, and what changes will be made once it ends.

Admittedly, the main reason this hiatus is happening is because I'm running out of ideas as to how I can really involve myself.

The other reason is because, well, I hate seeing this place dead. The vast majority of the hiatus will probably be spent doing things entirely unrelated to Fun Allowed. However, I might look into finding a less restrictive host... eventually.

(Edited due to things)

Comments: 0
Latest topics
» the forum theme always pisses me off
Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:59 am by Vapor

» i'm still a gay loser diaper baby wannabe
Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 am by CasualCollision

» Chao Island Simulator Rules
Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:40 am by Vapor

» oh no the seasonal themes are back
Thu May 12, 2016 8:36 pm by eboy

» Oh yea btw calaveras caught fire again
Tue May 03, 2016 10:15 pm by Gravelord Neto

» for the love of fuck will i've been trying to message you on skype
Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:08 pm by JmTsHaW

» How does this place still exist I'm scared
Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 am by CasualCollision

» slipknot
Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:07 am by Gravelord Neto

» Ricky's birthday party is cancelled.
Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:13 am by Tulip

Top posters
CasualCollision

Vapor

dragonslayer oddish

Gravelord Neto

eboy

JmTsHaW

Twilde

Enzo03

BriannaBumblebee

Poll
Do you guys want the music player to still be up?
Yes, even though it causes a few problems.
33%
 33% [ 2 ]
No. It causes too many problems, and it's not worth having.
67%
 67% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Share | 

Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CasualCollision
Admin

Sand : 636

PostSubject: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Okay, so I promised Mana that I would do this. Here, I will document the progress I make on a game I am currently making, for now called Sole Thesis. For the mean time, you'll probably see me writing in this thread more than doing anything else on these forums. Though, I honestly don't see much coming out of writing this journal, as I will probably abandon it after a month's writing. However, if the journal and project lingers on, I will probably make a board for game dev journals for me and my close friends to use to document their progress in any serious game they might be currently making.

So, before I start showing off what I have so far, I want to briefly talk about the history of the project. The project has been revived twice since I began conceiving the concept behind the game. Back in 2011, when I still used Game Maker 8 to make simple half-finished games, I began working on a game called VEIN, or as I like to call it now, 2D Half-Life but without aliens. The game was planned to be a linear 2D side scroller about an amnesiac lawyer trapped in a science facility gone to hell after numerous science experiments gone wrong. Since then, the story and gameplay style has been reworked quite a bit, but concept-wise, a resemblance remains.

Spoiler:

Unfortunately, what I had of the game has been forever lost, for the game was on my old laptop, which fried later that year. I didn't have much done, however, so it wasn't THAT much of a loss. I mainly had a bunch of minimalistic graphics done, and hardly anything else, gameplay wise. For the current project, it's the other way around.

Fast foreword to mid-late 2012, I got incredibly fed up with doing nothing out of my ordinary routine, and made a thread asking the Chao Island community if I should read an MSPA, a popular trend there at the time, or make a game using a program I have never used before. Making a game in Stencyl won, 10 to 8, and I soon got to work on making a game using Stencyl, a program I had never used prior to making the poll. Although I suggested making a dinky joke game about a mario-like Prophet Muhammad, I decided to reuse VEIN's concept with a few tweaks to the story. The project name at the time was 10 Days P, as I gave myself a 10 days time limit. Naturally, the project at hand ended up being too ambitious, and I didn't finish the game in time. By the time 10 days had passed, I had lost all motivation to keep working on it, and dropped it soon afterwards.

A year and a half later, after a bunch of dumb stuff happened in my personal life, I decided to start working with stencyl again. I of course, used VEIN's concept as a source of inspiration once more, and for the heck of it, picked up from where I left off with the old project, that had been collecting dust over the year. I give props to Mana, who helped me brain storm the name of the title, that will probably stick throughout the entire project. It has been four months since I began work on Sole Thesis, and I have had numerous long sessions of procrastination. After the first week of development or so, every one day I spent working on Sole Thesis, I'd spend two weeks downright avoiding it. This is a habit I hope to break in the weeks to come.

In the next entry, I'll actually show the progress of what I've made so far in the game. But for now, have a screenshot of the current test room's layout.

EDIT: For convenience, I'm going to provide the latest build in the first post whenever a new one is made, along with the new journal entry.

Spoiler:

(20:20:45) Skyralie: @ TheMayorOfChaopolis: yOYOYOYO WE GOTTA YIFF IN A BIT

Last edited by CasualCollision on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://funallowed.free-forum-hosting.com
Vapor
Co-Owner

Sand : 493

PostSubject: Re: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:02 pm

If you abandon this I'm gonna kick your butt into the Fuck Dimension.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://uravae.tumblr.com/
CasualCollision
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:31 am

Alright, the next entry is going to provide a working build embedded into the thread for anyone to play test at their leisure.

Feel free to give feedback once I go ahead and post it. I'm gonna provide a list of things to try out.

Back to top Go down
CasualCollision
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:42 pm

ALRIGHT, procrastination over. Update.

Now that I've given more than enough background information to, well, fill up an entire first journal entry, now is best to talk about the actual GAME. Sole Thesis is planned to be an open world puzzle platformer, in which you explore an abandoned science facility in ruin. Your long term goal is to escape the facility, and make contact with whatever may be left of humanity. To make your way through the ruins, you must mutate yourself using anomalous substances scattered throughout the game.

Spoiler:

Currently, I have a camera system implemented, letting me make multiple screens on a single map (any objects off screen aren't rendered). I also have basic controls down, as well as objects that you can lift. Most, if not all of the graphics currently in place, are either place holders, or graphics that are subject to dramatic changes.

Fortunately, since this game runs on flash, I can embed an early build of the game onto the site with ease (props to eboy who showed me how). I want anyone willing to spend a few minutes of their time to play the build, and notify me of any bugs you may come across in the build.

Open the spoiler to play the game.

Spoiler:

After you finish playing, please offer me some feedback. Your criticism and feedback can very well affect how well the game turns out.

Here is some feedback that I want in particular, though please offer something additional as well.

- If a block you were carrying falls through the walls when putting it down, screenshot EXACTLY where you were and which way you were facing when the bug occured. If it happened in mid-air, try your best to specify where in mid-air. Or better yet, edit your screenshot to specify.

- Do you have a problem with the controls? Please tell me in detail what the problem is, and how you think I can make it better.

- Were the warning icons any help differentiating the fatal falls from the non-fatal falls?

Last edited by CasualCollision on Sat May 03, 2014 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eboy

Sand : 186
Location : trying to persuade casualcollision to reopen forums

PostSubject: Re: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 am

Now, I've got to say, that looks pretty polished for a first public build (using "looks" metaphorically).

Now, I do have to admit that you need to include a minimap, or at least a camera that doesn't make the game act like a DOS platformer, because there is absolutely no indication of where you are.

Also speaking of lack of indication, I was never told that walking to the left would brutally murder me, or that I can pick boxes up from above. Speaking of which, you should say "hold S to lift a box" instead of "press S to lift a box", because "hold" has a completely different (and more accurate) meaning than "press."

I haven't experienced any bugs, but the physics/game engine is A-OK. Keep up the good work.

GLORY AND JOY TO THE ALMIGHTY SPRING
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragonslayer oddish

Sand : 376

PostSubject: Re: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   Thu May 01, 2014 4:41 pm

- Were the warning icons any help differentiating the fatal falls from the non-fatal falls?

yes

Tumblr:  PRAISE THE SUN 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]   

Back to top Go down

Sole Thesis Development Journal [EARLY BUILD RELEASED]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: -Various Attractions- :: Gaming-